Audioguide app

Timeline

1890
March 1 1890

Spring of 1890

Construction of the Roman Catholic High School, in the southwestern part of the Upper Marketplace begins.
1891
January 1 1891

1891

On the ruins of the castle, a High School is built (the József Eötvös agricultural secondary school today).
1892
October 31 1892

31st of October, 1892.

The building of the Roman Catholic High School is consecrated (today a college).
1893
October 8 1893

8th of October, 1893.

The State Clay- and Stone Industry Vocational School is opening (founder-director was Nándor Hargita sculptor).
1897
January 1 1897

1897

Through the merger of the Women’s Association and the Industry Self-Training and Relief Society, the Citizens’ Self-Training Association (headed by Endre Solymossy for twenty years) was established.
July 26 1897

26th of July 1897.

Inauguration of the new county hall building, at the same time with the millennium memorial column. Creator of the 8,4 meters high column was Nándor Hargita, director of the stone and clay industry-vocational school.
1898
January 1 1898

1898

The Civil Symphony Orchestra is being reorganized.
1902
January 1 1902

1902

The Catholic Choir is formed.
1906
January 1 1906

1906 – 1908

The town’s Unitarian church has been erected.
1909
January 1 1909

1909

Establishment of the apprentice-school library.
January 1 1909

1909 – 1913

Famous writer, Dezső Szabó is the teacher of highschool in Székelyudvarhely
May 1 1909

May of 1909

The construction of the new Roman Chatolic School building complex, one of todays’ symbols of the city, is started.
1910
January 1 1910

1910

Population of the town has grown to 10 244 inhabitants.
November 20 1910

20th of November 1910.

The building of the new Roman Catholic High School is solemnly consecrated in the presence of Bishop Gusztáv Károly Majlát.
1916
January 26 1916

26th of January 1916.

The town is shaken by an earthquake, but no damage is caused in the buildings.
October 20 1916

20th of October, 1916.

The four bells of St. Nicholas’ Parish Church are requisitioned for war aims.
October 27 1916

27th of October, 1916.

Commanding officer of Transylvanian army-corps, Crown Prince Charles and his wife, Zita pay a visit to Székelyudvarhely. The headquarter of the army-corp is in the town until 1917.
1917
December 8 1917

8th of December, 1917.

The “Vasszékely” statue was inaugurated in the middle of the former Deák Square. Ferenc József Archduke is the most prestigious guest of the ceremony.
1918
December 6 1918

6th of December, 1918.

The Romanian troops march into Székelyudvarhely from the direction of Csíkszereda.
1919
March 1 1919

March, 1919.

The Romanian soldiers crushed the “Vasszékely” statue in one night.