The Reformed College (Old College) at nr. 1 in Márton Áron Square was founded in 1670 by count János Bethlen (1613–1678). Later according to the proposal of professor Gergely Kis of Baczkamadaras the old wooden building was destroyed and rebuilt. In 1885–1886 the building was extended by adding an additional storey to provide more space, in neoclassical style. In front of the new building there is a bronze statue of Elek Benedek (1859–1929), the great narrator, also a former pupil of the College. The new building of the Reformed College was completed between 1910–1912 in the eclectic–Art Nouveau style. Its front facade and the lateral walls are decorated with stylized animal and floral motifs. Today this building is home to the Scientific Library of the Haáz Rezső City Museum.